Securing a Proclamation

Follow These Steps to Secure a Proclamation:

1. Find your local elected officials. For a city proclamation, determine who is your Selectman, Alderman, County Commissioner or City Councilor. This can be done by visiting your city or town’s website or contacting the city or town clerk’s office and asking who represents you. Ask the clerk for the best way to contact your elected official. For a state proclamation, visit your state’s website or contact the governor’s office and ask who should be contacted to request a state proclamation.

2. Contact your local elected officials. Call, email or write a letter to your elected official and tell him or her about PH and your connection to the Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA). Tell the elected official about Pulmonary Hypertension Awareness Month and ask if the council or the governor would consider declaring November “Pulmonary Hypertension Awareness Month.” Keep in mind that many proclamations can be obtained completely via email. Contacting local officials is easy! If your local officials ask for sample proclamation language, contact PHA at

3. Stay active throughout the process. The board/council may take a vote on the issue, and you should be present for that vote. Bring support group members, friends and family to show that living with PH affects many people, not just the patient.